MHS Guidance Department
2016-2017 Upcoming Events:
- Senior College Planning Meeting: September PRIDE
- PSAT's - ALL 10th and 11th graders: Wednesday, October 19th 7:30 AM- 11 AM
- Financial Aid Night-for Seniors & Parents: Thursday, October 6th 6:30 PM (in conjunction with parent conferences)
- Junior College Planning Night & Naviance Overview & PSAT Score Release: January
- Incoming Freshman Information Night: January TBD
School Counselor Roles:
The role of the school counselor includes coordinating, consulting and counseling in the areas of personal/social issues, careers and academic development.High school counselors provide the following services:
- New student registrations, which involve obtaining cumulative and special education (if applicable) records from previous schools, an intake interview, school tour, and developing a student schedule appropriate for the student.
- Meet with students individually to schedule classes
- Keep records of student meetings, make schedule changes when necessary, and continually monitor social and academic progress.
- Coordinate parent, teacher and /or student conferences, as academic concerns arise.
- Continually monitor attendance together with the Truancy Officer.
- Meet with juniors and seniors for post secondary planning
- Write letters of recommendation, complete school reports and transcript requests.
- In the case of special education students, counselors attend and report academic, credit and graduation information at the Planning and Placement Team (PPT) Meetings as needed.
- Work with students and/or their families in providing referrals to appropriate outside agencies (DCF, FSWN, counseling)
- Individual counseling services for academic, emotional and behavior issues or crisis intervention, as needed for students.
- Monitor and assess graduation requirements and participate in credit withdrawal hearings.
- Organize homebound tutoring
- Coordinate 504 meetings and meet with 504 students as needed
- Attend monthly meetings with probation, DCF, Family with Service Needs and community outreach groups.
- Lunch duty
- Attend weekly guidance meetings