The State of Connecticut Statutes Sec. 10-204a require that local boards of education require that each student be protected  through adequate immunization against some infectious childhood diseases before being permitted to enroll in any program operated by a public or nonpublic school under its jurisdiction.

Department of Public Health defines “new entrant” as follows:

“New entrants are any students who are new to the school district, including all preschoolers and all students coming in from Connecticut private, parochial, and charter schools located in the same or another community. All preschoolers, as well as all students entering kindergarten, including those repeating kindergarten, and those moving from any public or private pre-school program, even in the same school district, are considered new entrants. The one exception is students returning from private approved special education placements-they are not considered new entrants.”

Medical exemptions are allowed when appropriate documentation is presented and approved by the school nurse. (Read more about our BOE policy on student immunizations here.)

Non-medical exemptions are no longer allowed in the State of Connecticut; this is per Public Act 21-6, which repealed non-medical exemptions.

Connecticut Immunization school entry requirements require that students whose initial immunizations have been given but additional required immunizations are in process to submit this certification from the student’s physician, physician assistant (PA) or advance practice registered nurse (APRN) that the additional immunizations are in process in accord with guidelines and schedule specified by the Commissioner of Public Health (Connecticut Department of Public Health Form For In Process Required School Immunizations).

If your student is medically exempt from vaccination due to medical/health reasons, a medical exemption form must be filled out in its entirety by a board certified provider with active licensure and returned to your child's school nurse.

List of Required Vaccinations per Connecticut State Government

Required Health Assessment (Physical Examination)

The Middletown Board of Education recognizes the importance of periodic health assessments according to state health requirements. Health assessments help to determine the health status of students, and facilitate the identification and mitigation of health-related factors that may negatively impact access to learning.

Health Assessments are due before being permitted to enroll in Pre-K, K, 7th and 10th grade, and must be reviewed and on file with the school nurse before students can begin these grades.

You may access a blank physical examination form here:
Health Assessment Record (HAR)

Part I of the form must be completed and signed by parent.

Part II to be completed and signed by physician

(Regarding sports physicals: **A completed and parent/ health care provider signed HAR may be used in lieu of the Sports Physical Forms if the health care provider checks off the appropriate boxes indicating confirmation of clearance to participate in sports-related activities. See “Athletics Page” for more details**)

Please visit the Middletown Health Assessments and Immunization requirements policy for more information.

Health Insurance

Students and families are required to provide the school system with their active health insurance information on the Required Health Assessment (Physical) From. In the chance that health insurance is needed the link for Access Health CT is provided here to obtain active health insurance. If you have any questions please reach out to the Access Health CT help page.

Medication Administration

Medications Requested to be Taken/Administered in School

Nurses are not permitted to administer medications (either prescription or over the counter) to students without a doctor’s order and written approval of the parents/guardians. Parents of students who require daily or as needed medications in school must contact the nurse and inform them of the nature of the medication. 

Authorization for the administration of medication forms are available from the health office and here. The form, along with a "medical action plan" must be completed by the doctor and signed by the parent. 

When the appropriate forms cannot be completed because of a sudden injury or infection, and the student is seen on an emergency basis in a walk-in clinic or the hospital emergency room, the doctor treating the student must write an order for the medication to be given during the school day, if that will be the requirement. This applies to Advil, Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve, antibiotics, eye-drops, or other medications for infections, rashes, or sports injuries. Medication bottles must be brought to the school nurse by an adult who is over the age of 18.

CLICK HERE for Authorization For the Administration of Medication by School Personnel.

Meal/Diet Modification

Does your child require special meal accommodations?

If so, please contact your school's nurse or our Food Service Director, Randall Mel, for assistance. We can ensure your child receives the nourishment your child needs. Randall can be reached by email at 

Please have a physician complete and return the following documentation:

a. If your child has a disability and requires a meal accommodations click here

b. If your child does NOT have a disability and requires meal accommodations click here.

c. If your child requires a milk alternative due to an intolerance or allergy, please have your child's physician complete the form available in (b) . Please keep in mind that, by law, we can only provide certain milk substitutions because certain nutrient standards need to be met.

Current Guidelines on Covid, Flu, and RSV

The CDC updated its recommendations for respiratory viruses on Friday, March 1, 2024. Instead of individual guidelines for COVID, Flu, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), the revised CDC guidance emphasizes a unified strategy for managing respiratory illnesses (RI).

Accordingly, Middletown Public Schools has updated guidelines. Please find those linked below:

Guidelines for MPS Students - COVID-19, Flu, RSV - Revised March 2024

Too Sick for School? Image

Guidance on When to Keep Your Child Home

Too Sick for School?

When to Keep Your Child Home

School nurses are often asked when it is appropriate to keep a child home from school and when they may return after an illness. To help keep your student safe and healthy, as well as other students, this chart can help with these questions. These are guidelines only; for more information, please contact your school nurse.

Please keep in mind that if any of these symptoms and/or illness occur on school grounds a parent/guardian will be called to pick up their student, as we do not want to risk the spread of illness or infection. Please contact your school nurse if you have any questions. 

Medical Resources for Families

2-1-1 CT

2-1-1 CT is your one-stop connection to the local services our state provides. This resource allows for residents to have access to from utility assurance , vision exams, obtaining corrective lenses, food, housing, child care, after school programs, elder care, crisis intervention and much more. 2-1-1- is always ready to assist you find the help you need. Dial 2-1-1 or search online here. If you are outside of Connecticut or have a problem using the 2-1-1 number, dial 1-800-203-1234.

Non-Emergent Medical Transportation

Members who need to get to and from Medicaid-covered medical services but have no means of transportation.  This site is intended to assist in understanding the Connecticut’s NEMT program.  Information and materials in this section, especially under the ‘Documents/Forms’ link at left, describe the background and status of NEMT in 2018.

The Department of Social Services’ contract for services provided by Veyo, a Total Transit company, is effective from January 1, 2018, through December 31, 2020.  The NEMT program has been restructured to provide the contractor with greater flexibility and capacity to engage a range of transportation through the state in order to best serve Medicaid members.

 Special information for HUSKY Health/Medicaid members:

  • To request rides for medical appointments, the telephone number to call is: 1-855-478-7350.

  • Members need to call at least 48 hours (not including weekends and holidays) before their appointment.  If a member has an urgent need and their healthcare provider needs to see them the same day or next day, they need to call as soon as they can to make arrangements.  Members are asked to please remember to cancel or change any transportation requests as soon as possible if any of their appointments have been changed or been cancelled. 

Please follow this link for additional information about scheduling rides with Veyo, access to member forms and materials for facilities.  The link also will connect you with Frequently Asked Questions for members and providers.

 The state’s NEMT contractor, Veyo/Total Transit, has an online link to receive suggestions, input, concerns and complaints: